OK, so these were named by our daughter and named so because you have to roll them into a ball with your hands and it gets all nice and messy…plus you get to lick your fingers at the end and that’s always a winner with our little one!
These snacks are a good source of protein, are relatively healthy and these babies don’t last long in our house! It’s a very versatile recipe and you can add whatever fruit and nuts you like, just use the oats, nut butter, honey and vanilla mix as a base for the recipe.
Makes 15 balls (or rollers)
- 150g rolled oats
- 100g nut butter (we used almond but you can also use cashew, brazil or peanut)
- 100g honey
- 1tsp of vanilla extract
- 1 generous handful of pinenuts (you can also used chopped pecans, walnuts or almonds)
- 1 generous handful of cranberries (or you can use raisins, dates or apricots)
- 1 generous handful of chocolate chips
- Place the nut butter in a saucepan and gently heat until it becomes slightly runny. Add the honey and vanilla extract and mix well.
- Add the oats, nuts and fruit (if using) and mix to combine. Set aside to cool slightly (about room temperature, then add the chocolate chips and stir.
- Line a baking tray with greaseproof paper, then using your hands, take some of the mixture and roll into a golf ball sized ball.
- Arrange the ‘rollers’ evenly onto the baking tray then put them in the freezer for about 30 minutes, then transfer to the fridge for another 30 minutes before eating