‘Not’ella Chocolate Spread
I love chocolate spread and after discovering it has less sugar than jam, I thought I’d see if we could make a healthier version than the shop bought variety. Oh my, I have found a delicious recipe that is far healthier and in mine and my test subjects opinion is much tastier. It’s so easy to make using just 4 ingredients and stores in the fridge for a good couple of months…if you can make it last that long!
- 230g Whole blanched hazelnuts
- 100g Coconut sugar (or dextrose)
- 45g Raw cacao powder (or unsweetened dark cocoa powder)
- 1/2-1 tbsp Coconut oil
- Pinch of salt (brings out the chocolate flavour)
- Preheat the oven to 180c. Spread the hazelnuts onto a baking tray and bake for 8-10 minutes or until nicely toasted. Be careful not to burn them otherwise you’ll get a bitter taste in the spread.
- Remove from the oven and allow to cool slightly before adding them to a food processor. Blitz until they begin to release their oils and turn to a nut butter, nice and smooth (this may take a few minutes).
- Once the nut butter is as smooth as you can get it, add the sugar, cacao powder and salt. Blitz again until evenly mixed.
- Finally add the coconut oil and blend again until smooth.
- Transfer to an airtight container and store in the fridge. Remove from the fridge a few minutes before using.