Walnut pastry twists
A tasty treat that kids will love and is one way to include walnuts into their diet.
- 100g walnuts
- 100g good-quality plain dark chocolate (or high-cocoa milk chocolate), broken into chunks
- Finely grated zest of 1 orange
- 500g all butter puff pastry
- 1 egg beaten
- Icing sugar
- Preheat the oven to 200c. Lightly grease a couple of baking sheets. Put the walnuts, chocolate and orange zest in a food processor and blitz until fairly fine.
- Roll out the pastry to about 3mm thickness, then cut into strips roughly 4cm by 12cm. Brush each strip with the beaten egg, then sprinkle with a layer of the chopped walnut mixture. Press it lightly into the pastry. Form each strip into a twist. Transfer to the baking sheets.
- Bake for 12-15 minutes, until golden and puffed up, then remove from the oven and, while still hot, dust generously with sifted icing sugar. Leave to cool before serving.