Apple and almond strudel
This dessert is an indulgent, comforting dish that goes well with custard, single cream or iced cream. It’s quick and easy to prepare too.
- 320g puff pastry sheet
- 2 bramley apples (or 3 eating apples) peeled and thinly sliced.
- 1 handful or sultanas or raisins
- 1 handful of flaked almonds
- 2tbsp of lemon juice
- 2tbsp of coconut sugar (or other preferred sugar)
- 1/4 – 1/2 tsp of cinnamon (depending on personal taste)
- 2tbsp chilled butter
- Preheat the oven to 190c. Line a large baking sheet with greaseproof paper.
- Place the sliced apple into a large mixing bowl and add the lemon juice (this helps to prevent the apples turning brown). Add the sultanas, almonds, cinnamon and 1.5tbsp of sugar to the apples and gently mix.
- Cut 1.5tbsp of the chilled butter into small chunks and add to the mixture.
- Lay out the puff pastry onto the baking tray. place the filling along the centre of the pastry ensuring you leave 2cm from the edges.
- Carefully fold the pastry over the mixture bringing the furthest edge of the pastry towards you and fold over the remaining edges of the pastry (pressing down firmly) until it resembles a large sausage roll.
- Melt the remaining half tbsp of butter and brush over the pastry. Sprinkle the remaining sugar over the top of the pastry and then take a serrated knife and cut slits diagonally along the top of the pastry about 3″ apart.
- Place on the middle shelf of the preheated oven and cook for 15-25 minutes.
- Best served warm!