Christmas tree cones
Ideal as a treat for a snack or dessert, you can fill these with a variety of goodies and include some healthy food too. In this recipe I added Smarties, pinenuts and cranberries but you could add any nuts, seeds, dried fruits or sweets that your kids prefer.
I’ve seen something similar to this online but the coating is a bright green frosting. Christmas is an exciting time enough for kids without loading them up on E numbers so this shouldn’t give them such a sugar rush… or a sugar crash!
Makes 3 trees
- 2 waffle ice cream cones
- 60g good quality white chocolate
- A small handful of each of the following: pinenuts, cranberries, Smarties or chocolate drops
- 3 chocolate buttons
- 8 shelled pistachio nuts (optional)
- 1 small handful of pumpkin seeds (optional)
- Break up the white chocolate into a glass bowl and sit the bowl over a a small pan of simmering water. Be sure to not let the bottom of the bowl touch the water. Leave to melt completely before gently stirring.
- Remove the bowl of melted chocolate from the pan.
- Next take a cone and carefully score around edge with a knife then gently cut the cone so you cut about 3″ off the end. Repeat this process with the other 2 cones.
- Place the pistachios in a processor (if using) and blitz until roughly chopped. Set aside.
- Take a teaspoon of the melted white chocolate and apply it to the cone using the back of the spoon.
- Sprinkle with pistachios (if using) until the cone is evenly coated. Carefully stand upright on a plate and allow to set.
- If using pumpkin seeds repeat the above step and place each pumpkin seed onto the melted chocolate and stand upright on a plate to set.
- Place the coated cones in the fridge for about 30 minutes and allow to set fully.
- Mix the nut/seed/fruit/chocolate mixture.
- Remove the cones from the fridge and fill with the mixture. Place a chocolate button over the mixture as this will help to keep the mixture in when you turn it upside down to stand the tree up. Repeat this process with the remaining cones.
- Store in the fridge until ready to serve!